The Templar church at Chamberaud, Creuse, France

Perhaps founded in 1193, the Templar commandery of Chamberaud (Creuse, France) stood on the natural promontory of the present bourg (village center). The oldest proven date relating to the existence of the House of the Temple of Chamberaud dates back to around 1258. The annexes of Chamberaud at the time of the Templars were Fransèches, La Pouge, Lépinas and Montbut.

In 1312, the order of the Temple was dissolved: like all the goods of the Templars, the commandery of Chamberaud was transferred to the order of Saint John of Jerusalem. During the following period, this commandery was part of the Grand Priory of Auvergne. It had seven mills and two members who were Sous-Parsat and La Pouge. 

It seems that the commandery experienced a strong decline during the 15th and 16th centuries. The buildings began to fall into ruins between 1556 and 1617. The stones were largely reused in the construction of the village, as evidenced by some sculptures and coats of arms integrated into the buildings. The commandery slowly fell into disrepair. Only the chapel and a square tower remain. These were restored around 1990.

Watch our Chamberaud Templar Church Video on our YouTube channel.

Text translated form Wikipedia, illustrations own pictures by TemplarsNow™. 

Support TemplarsNow™ by becoming a Patrontipping us or buying one of our Reliable Books

No comments: